Today we are going to make Spicy Korean Rice Cake, Tteokbokki. It’s one of the most popular Korean street foods. The rice cake is chewy, spicy, and slightly sweet. It’s super delicious!
Spicy Korean Rice Cake Tteokbokki Recipe
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 30 minutes
For the anchovy stock:
4 cups water
8 large dried anchovies, removed heads, and guts
5 pieces dried kelp (1 x 2 inches)
For the sauce:
3 tablespoons Korean hot pepper paste (gochujang)
1 tablespoon Korean hot pepper flakes (gochugaru)
1 ½ tablespoons soy sauce
1 ½ tablespoons sugar
Fort the rice cake and others:
1 pound cylinder rice cake
3 cups water, warm water
½ pound fish cake
2 boiled eggs
2 stalk scallions, cut into 1-inch pieces
Spicy Korean Rice Cake Tteokbokki Instructions
- To prepare the rice cake, in a bowl, place in the rice cake and warm water. Soak it for about 15 minutes. Drain.
- Put the anchovies in a spice bag.
- To make the anchovy stock, in a pot over medium-low heat, pour in the water. Add the spice bag and dried kelp, bring it to a simmer, and cook for 15 minutes. Remove the spice bag and dried kelp.
- Season the stock with hot pepper paste, hot pepper flakes, soy sauce, and sugar. Mix well. Turn to medium-high heat and bring it to a boil.
- Drop in the drained rice cake, stir occasionally, and cook for about 5 minutes until the rice cake is softened.
- Put in the fish cake, boiled eggs, and scallions, and continue to cook for another 3 minutes until the sauce is thickened. Serve!