Scallion pancakes usually take a few hours to make. Today I’d like to show you a quick and easy way to make scallion pancakes in just 30 minutes. Instead of making the dough from scratch, we will use dumpling wrappers. It’s going to be so flaky and crispy. Let’s get started!
Easy Scallion Pancakes Recipe
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 15 minutes
For the scallion oil:
6 tablespoons avocado oil, or other oil of your choice
1 bunch scallions, white part, cut into 2-inch pieces
For the scallion pancake:
16 dumpling wrappers, or replace them with wonton or gyoza wrappers
3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
¼ teaspoon salt
1 bunch scallions, green part, minced
4 tablespoons avocado oil
For the dipping sauce:
2 tablespoons soy sauce
2 tablespoons rice vinegar
1 tablespoon sugar
1 teaspoon sesame oil
1 teaspoon red chili flakes
1 tablespoon scallions, minced
Easy Scallion Pancakes Instructions
- To make the scallion oil, in a pot over low heat, place in the avocado oil (or oil of your choice), and the white part of the scallions. Cook until lightly browned, 5 minutes. Remove the scallions.
- To make the oil mixture, in a bowl, add the all-purpose flour, salt, and scallion oil. Whisk together. Set aside.
- To make the dipping sauce, in a bowl, mix in the soy sauce, rice vinegar, sugar, sesame oil, red chili pepper flakes, and scallions. Mix well.
- To assemble the pancakes, place 4 dumpling wrappers in a row (You could also replace them with wonton or gyoza wrappers). Brush the oil mixture on the wrappers. Layer the wrappers, about 1 inch on top of each other. Sprinkle with the green part of the scallions. Slice 5 cuts with a knife horizontally. (This will create more layers.) Use your hands, roll it into a log horizontally, then roll it into a spiral shape, and push it down. Brush additional oil mixture on both sides. (This will prevent any cracks.) Use a rolling pin, and roll it into the desired thickness, about 4 inches in diameter.
- At this point, you can freeze the pancakes to cook later by stacking them, separated by parchment paper, and storing them in an airtight Ziploc bag. Freeze for up to two months.
- To pan-fry the pancakes, in a flat bottom pan over medium heat, add the avocado oil (or oil of your choice), and the scallion pancakes. Pan fry until golden brown, 2 minutes. Flip the pancakes, and pan fry until golden brown, another 2 minutes. Do the same with the rest of the pancakes. Serve with the dipping sauce!
- It’s flaky, crispy, kind of tender on the inside, and has many layers.