If you’d like to eat your kimchi instantly, without waiting for fermentation. Fresh kimchi is the answer — it can be eaten immediately, and it’s so quick and easy. It’s spicy, savory, slightly sweet, and over-the-top refreshing!
Instant Fresh Kimchi Recipe
Prep time: 20 minutes
Rest time: 30 minutes
2 pounds napa cabbage, or replace with green cabbage
4 cups water
2 tablespoons coarse sea salt
4 cloves garlic, minced
¼ teaspoon ginger, minced
4 tablespoons Korean red pepper flakes (gochugaru)
3 tablespoons fish sauce
1 ½ tablespoons Korean green plum extract, or replace it with sugar
1 small carrot, julienned
4 stalk scallions, thinly sliced
1 teaspoon toasted sesame seeds
Instant Fresh Kimchi Instructions
To prepare the Napa cabbage:
- In a bowl, mix in the water and coarse sea salt. Whisk until dissolved.
- First, cut the Napa cabbage in halves. Then, cut it into quarters, and remove the stem. Use the small leaves directly. Cut the big leaves lengthwise into about 1-inch pieces.
- In a large mixing bowl, place the Napa cabbage inside, and pour in the salt water. Rest for 15 minutes. Toss and turn. Rest for another 15 minutes until the Napa cabbage is softened.
- Rinse the Napa cabbage in running water and drain.
To make the sauce:
- In a mixing bowl, add the garlic, ginger, Korean red pepper flakes, fish sauce, Korean green plum extract, carrots, and scallions. Mix together.
To toss together and serve:
- In a mixing bowl, place the Napa cabbage and sauce mixture inside. Mix well. Lastly, drizzle with the toasted sesame seeds. Enjoy!
- You can serve the Fresh kimchi immediately with your favorite dishes. I usually like it with rice and Korean BBQ. But if you can’t finish it, you could store it in the fridge for up to a week.