Honestly, this is the best purple sweet potato mochi I’ve ever eaten. And we are not going to make the mochi skin from scratch. Instead, we’ll be using rice paper!
Purple Sweet Potato Moch Recipe
Prep time: 25 minutes
Cook time: 20 minutes
3 medium purple sweet potatoes, sliced into rings
4 tablespoons sugar
¾ cup (177ml) whole milk
½ cup (78 g) glutinous rice flour, for dusting
1 cup water
8 pieces rice paper
Purple Sweet Potato Moch Instructions
To prepare the purple sweet potatoes:
- Peel the purple sweet potatoes, and slice them into rings.
- In a steamer over high heat, bring water to a boil, and place the purple sweet potatoes inside. Cover the lid, and steam over high heat for 15 minutes until completely cooked through.
- Carefully remove, and rest until slightly cooled down.
To prepare the glutinous rice flour:
- In a pan over medium-low heat, add the glutinous rice flour, and constantly stir until lightly browned for about 5 minutes. Set aside.
To make the filling:
- In a food processor, add the cooled-down purple sweet potatoes, sugar (add more or less based on your preferences), and whole milk. Blend it until it becomes a paste. (You could also mash it in a mixing bowl.)
To assemble and serve:
- Dip the rice paper in water. Place it in a small bowl. Scoop about 3 tablespoons of the filling in the center. Gather and seal the rice paper together.
- Dust the rice paper mochi with the cooked glutinous rice flour.
- Trim off the extra rice paper, and serve!
Did you know?
People often ask me, why I like to cook. There are many reasons. One of the reasons is because I think food is magical. It always unites people, bringing everyone together on the same table, and setting aside our differences. It makes people happy and creates memories. It’s the simplest joy in life. Don’t you think? Happy cooking everyone!