A delicious shrimp paste is added to seaweed sheets and wrapped into rolls. Then, they are dipped in a batter and fried until super crispy! It’s over-the-top delicious and absolutely no mess. Let’s get started with Crispy Seaweed Shrimp Rolls!
Prep time: 35 minutes
Cook time: 10 minutes
For the seaweed shrimp rolls:
1 ½ pounds shrimp, peeled and deveined
¼ teaspoon ginger
1/10 teaspoon salt
1/10 teaspoon white pepper
1 tablespoon sesame oil
12 sheets roasted seaweed (temaki nori)
1 medium carrot, julienned
1 ½ cups Chinese chives
4 cups oil, for frying
For the batter:
1 ½ cups cornstarch, or other starch
Pinch of salt
1 teaspoon baking powder
½ teaspoon baking soda
1 large egg white
¾ cup cold club soda
To prepare the filling:
- In a food processor, add the deveined shrimp, and blend until it becomes a paste (or mince it with a knife). Then add the ginger, salt, white pepper, and sesame oil. Mix well.
To assemble the seaweed shrimp rolls:
- Place a pastry bag (or a Ziploc bag) in a glass, and add the filling inside. Seal the opening and cut open the tip.
- Lay a sheet of roasted seaweed flat. Squeeze the filling at the bottom. Place a few pieces of carrots and Chinese chives on it.
- For sealing, brush a thin layer of the filling at the top of the seaweed. Roll up the seaweed and seal. Do the same with the rest.
To make the batter:
- In a large mixing bowl, add the cornstarch, salt, baking soda (this will make the batter crispy), and baking powder (this will make the batter airy and puffy). Whisk. Then add the egg white and cold club soda (this helps the batter to be extra airy, light, and crispy). Mix together.
- In a pot over high heat, pour the oil inside. Heat it to 325°F or 163°C.
- Dip the seaweed shrimp rolls in the batter, carefully place them in the oil, and don’t overcrowd the pot. Deep-fry until crispy for about 3 minutes. Remove and drain. Do the same with the rest.