Chinese eat spring rolls on Li Chun at the beginning of spring. In wishing to have good health. They come in a variety of flavors, from savory to sweet. Instead of deep frying, we’ll pan-fry them until crispy. Let’s get started with these super tasty purple sweet potato spring rolls!
Prep time: 35 minutes
Cook time: 20 minutes
4 medium Okinawan purple sweet potatoes, or other types
3 tablespoons sugar
1/2 cup milk, or water
12 spring roll wrappers
1 large egg, beaten
2 tablespoons oil
To prepare the Okinawan purple sweet potatoes:
- Peel the Okinawan purple sweet potatoes, and slice them into rings.
- In a steamer over high heat, bring water to a boil, and place the purple sweet potatoes inside. Cover the lid, and steam until completely cooked through for 15 minutes.
- Carefully take out the purple sweet potatoes and rest until slightly cooled down.
To prepare the filling:
- In a food processor, add the cooled-down purple sweet potatoes, sugar (add more or less based on your preferences), and whole milk. Blend it until it becomes a paste. (You could also mash it in a mixing bowl.)
- Place a pastry bag (or a Ziploc bag) in a glass, and add the filling inside. Seal the opening and cut open the tip.
To assemble the spring rolls:
- Lay a spring roll wrapper flat with a corner pointing toward you, so that it looks like a diamond. Squeeze the filling in the center horizontally.
- Tightly fold the bottom corner up, followed by two sides toward the center. Continue to roll it up, until the top of the wrapper is left, and brush the beaten egg over it. Roll it up all the way. Repeat with the rest.
To pan fry:
- In a pan over medium-high heat, add the oil inside. Place the spring rolls in the pan. Pan-fry until crispy and golden brown for about 4 minutes in total.
Did you know?
Chinese people are huge believers in symbolism. Eating certain foods brings good luck, fortune, and health. We also believe in order to have blessings, we need to have good karmas. So let’s all try to be kind to one another, even just a little at a time. And yes, I wish everyone great health after eating today’s spring rolls! Enjoy!