Bouncy shrimp and cooked rice are baked inside seaweed cups, and topped with lots of yummy goodies. If you like sushi, you’ll be sure to enjoy these baked shrimp sushi cups. This is a really fun, tasty, and easy recipe!
Prep time: 30 minutes
Cook time: 45 minutes
For the steamed rice:
1 ½ cups medium-grained rice, or replace with other types
1 2/3 cups water
For the sauce:
6 tablespoons Japanese mayonnaise
2 tablespoons Sriracha sauce
1 teaspoon rice vinegar
For the sushi cups:
12 sheets roasted seaweed (temaki nori), halved
1 pound small shrimp, peeled and deveined
1/10 teaspoon salt
1/10 teaspoon white pepper
1 cup breadcrumbs
1 teaspoon toasted sesame
½ small cucumber, diced
½ medium avocado, diced
To cook the rice:
- After thoroughly rinsing the rice, transfer the rice to a rice cooker, and pour in the water. Choose the setting for rice, and cook for about 30 minutes.
- (As an alternative to cooking it on a stovetop, place the rice and water in a pot, and cover the lid. Cook over medium-high heat, and bring just to a boil. Then reduce heat to low, and simmer for 15 minutes. Turn off the heat, continue to cover, and rest for another 15 minutes.)
- Remove the rice from the rice cooker, and cool to slightly above room temperature.
To make the sauce:
- In a bowl, mix in the Japanese mayonnaise, Sriracha sauce, and rice vinegar. Whisk and set aside.
To prepare the shrimp:
- Season the shrimp with salt and white pepper. Add half of the sauce to the shrimp. Reserve the rest of the sauce for later. Mix well.
- Dip the shrimp in breadcrumbs, and do the same with the rest.
- Place two pieces of quartered roasted seaweed on top of each other. Add about 1 tablespoon of rice on top. Put it in a standard-size muffin tin. Do the same with the rest.
- Add the shrimp over the rice into each cup.
- Transfer the muffin tin to the middle rack of the preheated oven. Bake at 400 degrees F (204 degrees C) for 15 minutes.
- Remove from the oven. Sprinkle with toasted sesame, cucumber, and avocado.
- Place the baked shrimp sushi cups on a plate, with the sauce on the side. Enjoy!