Pad Thai is a very popular Thai stir-fried rice noodles dish. You can find this dish everywhere in Thailand, and also in any Thai restaurants here in the US. Let’s get started with this authentic Pad Thai recipe!
Authentic Pad Thai Recipe
Prep time: 15 minutes
Rehydrate time: 1 hour
Cook time: 10 minutes
For the Pad Thai sauce:
5 tablespoons hot water
2 tablespoons palm sugar
3 tablespoons tamarind paste
2 1/2 tablespoons fish sauce
Pinch of salt
For the Pad Thai noodles:
6 ounces dried rice noodles, medium size, rehydrate in water for 1 hour.
1 lime, cut into wedges
¼ cup roasted peanuts, chopped
2 tablespoons dried shrimp, chopped
2 tablespoons chopped sweet preserved daikon radish
2 tablespoons shallots, chopped
4 garlic cloves, chopped
1/4 cup extra-firm tofu, cut into small rectangular pieces
1 cup garlic chives, cut into 2 inches pieces
½ pound shrimp, peeled and deveined
3 tablespoons extra light olive oil, separated
2 large eggs
2 cups bean sprouts, separated
Pad Thai Instructions
- To prepare the dried rice noodles, rehydrate them in a bowl of room temperature water for 1 hour. Drain.
- To prepare for other ingredients, cut the lime into wedges. Roughly chop the peanuts, dried shrimp, shallot, and garlic. Cut the tofu into bite-size pieces, and cut the chives into 2-inch pieces.
- To make the sauce, in a bowl, add in the hot water, and palm sugar, stir and dissolve it.
Also, add in the tamarind paste and fish sauce. Mix well. Set aside.
- In a wok over medium-high heat, add 1 tablespoon of extra light olive oil, place in the shrimp. Stir-fry both sides until pink. Remove and set aside.
- In the same wok over medium heat, add 1 tablespoon of extra light olive oil, transfer in the sweet preserved daikon radish, dried shrimp, shallot, garlic, and tofu. Stir-fry until aromatic, 2 minutes.
- Turn to high heat, transfer in the noodles and sauce. Stir-fry until the noodles have absorbed all the sauce.
- Push the noodles to the side, add 1 tablespoon of extra light olive oil, and crack in the eggs. Pan-fry the eggs for about 1 minute. Mix the noodles and the eggs. Return the shrimp. Place in the chives and about 1 ½ cups of bean sprouts. Mix together. Lastly, add the peanuts.
- Serve on a plate. Garnish with lime and additional bean sprouts on the side.