How to cook a perfect egg drop soup every single time? Watch this video and easily make the most delicious egg drop soup ever!
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 45 minutes
For the chicken stock:
4 quarts water, divided
½ pound chicken bones
4 slices ginger
For the egg drop soup:
1 teaspoon of rice vinegar, separated
2 stalk scallions, thinly sliced
½ teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon white pepper
3 tablespoons cornstarch slurry
6 tablespoons water
To prepare for the ingredients:
- First, remove the corn kernels from the cobs.
- Separate the egg whites and egg yolks into two different bowls. Add 1/2 teaspoon of rice vinegar to the egg whites and egg yolks. Whisk. (The vinegar protects the eggs, so they won’t be overcooked.)
- Slice the ginger.
- Slice the scallions.
To make the chicken stock:
- In a pot over high heat, add 2 quarts of water, add in the chicken bones. Bring it to a boil for about 3 minutes.
- Discard the water and rinse the bones. (By doing so we can remove the impurities.)
- In a large spice bag, place in the bones, corncobs, and ginger. Tie it up. (If you don’t have a spice bag. You could also filter out the stock afterward.)
- In the same pot over high heat, add the rest of the water and spice bag. Bring it to a boil, turn to low, and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Remove the spice bag.
To make the egg drop soup:
- In the chicken stock over high heat, transfer in the corn and cook for about 5 minutes until fully cooked.
- Season the soup with salt and white pepper. Mix well.
- Thicken the soup with a cornstarch slurry (3 tablespoons of cornstarch with 6 tablespoons of water.) Stir until thickened and bring it to a boil.
- Swirl in the egg whites and egg yolks separately. Turn off the heat. Garnish with scallions. Served!