Have you heard of Young Chow Fried Rice (Yangzhou Fried Rice)? There are mainly two styles. The one from Yangzhou is very fancy with sea cucumber and dried scallops. The one from Hong Kong is what we normally see in the US. It’s with char siu and shrimp. I couldn’t decide which one to make, so I ask you on Facebook and YouTube, and most of you chose the one from Hong Kong. So that’s what we are going to make Hong Kong Style Young Chow Fried Rice (Yangzhou Fried Rice)!
Young Chow Fried Rice Recipe
Serves 2 to 4
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 10 minutes
3 tablespoons extra light olive oil, separated
1/2 cup small shrimp, peeled and deveined
¼ cup char siu pork, diced
1/4 medium onion, diced
¼ cup peas, steamed
¼ cup carrots, diced, steamed
2 eggs, whisked
2 1/2 cups overnight steamed rice
Pinch of salt
Pinch of white pepper
1 teaspoon soy sauce
1 stalk scallion, finely chopped
Young Chow Fried Rice Instructions
- In a wok over high heat, add 1 tablespoon of extra light olive oil, add the shrimp. Stir-fry until pink for about 1 minute. Remove and set it aside.
- In the same wok over high heat, add 1 tablespoon of extra light olive oil, add the onion, peas, carrots, and char siu. Stir-fry for about 30 seconds. Remove and put them aside.
- In the same wok over high heat, add 1 tablespoon of extra light olive oil, add the eggs, and scramble until it’s partially cooked.
- Transfer in the leftover steamed rice, and stir-fry until every grain of rice is separated.
- Return the onion, peas, carrots, and char siu. Season it with salt, white pepper, and soy sauce. Mix well.
- Return the shrimp, and stir for another 30 seconds. Lastly, garnish with scallions and stir-fry for another 30 seconds.
How to Make Steamed Rice
- The perfect ratio of rice to water is 1 to 1. And, 1 cup of uncooked rice will yield about 3 cups of steamed rice.
- How do you make all the rice separated while stir-frying? The trick is to use overnight steamed rice, so there is less moisture to it. If you had to make it on the same day, allow it to become cooler before stir-frying it.
- In a rice cooker, add the rinsed jasmine rice and water. Use the setting for rice and cook.
- Transfer the steamed rice to a plate, let it come to room temperature, and cover it up. Store it in the fridge overnight.