Today, we are going to make Chinese BBQ Pork Ribs (Char Siu Pork Ribs). First, it is braised so it’s tender and moist on the inside. Then, we are going to put it in the oven, so it has a nice char on the outside. Let’s get started with this super delectable Chinese BBQ Pork Ribs (Char Siu Pork Ribs)!
Serve: 2 to 4
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 1 hour
2 pounds pork baby back ribs
1 tablespoon extra light olive oil
5 garlic cloves
2 pods star anise
2 pieces fermented red bean curd
2 tablespoons fermented red bean curd sauce
2 tablespoon oyster sauce
2 tablespoon hoisin sauce
1 tablespoon dark soy sauce
2 tablespoons rose cooking wine (mei kuei lu chiew) (or substitute with other rice wine)
2 cups chicken stock
2 tablespoons rock sugar
3 tablespoons honey
6 tablespoons warm water
- To mix the sauce together, in a bowl, add in the fermented red bean curd, fermented red bean curd sauce, oyster sauce, hoisin sauce, dark soy sauce, rose cooking wine, and chicken stock.
- In a pan over high heat, add the extra light olive oil, place in the pork ribs. Pan-fry until lightly browned, 8 minutes. (I didn’t marinate the ribs ahead of time, because we are going to braise the ribs, so the flavors will go in during the braising process.)
- Add in the garlic, star anise, and cinnamon. Stir-fry until aromatic, 30 seconds.
- Pour in the sauce, and add the rock sugar. Stir, cover the lid and bring it to a simmer. Turn to medium-low heat, cook for 15 minutes. Flip the ribs a few times.
- Uncover the lid, and turn to high heat to reduce the sauce for 10 minutes.
- Line a roasting pan with aluminum foil for easier cleanup. Place a roasting rack on top of the roasting pan.
- Transfer the pork ribs to the roasting rack.
- In a preheated oven, transfer in the roasting pan to the middle rack of the oven, roast at 400 °F (204°C) for 10 minutes.
- To make the honey glaze, in a bowl, mix in the honey and warm water.
- Remove the roasting pan from the oven and brush the honey glaze all over.
- Transfer in the roasting pan to the middle rack of the oven, roast at 400 °F (204°C) until it has a nice char on the surface, about 10 minutes.