Today let’s make the yummiest Red Braised Pork Trotters! To be honest, when I was a kid, I wasn’t a fan of Red Braised Pork Trotters. Somehow, I was a little intimidated by the dish. But during college, I missed home cooking so much, and surprisingly I also missed Red Braised Pork Trotters. And recently I’ve been craving for Chinese Red Braised Pork Feet again.
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 2 hours
Braised Pork Trotter Ingredients
3 pounds pork feet, removed hair and cut into big chunks
2 tablespoons extra light olive oil, separated
3 slices ginger
1 stalk scallions, cut into 2-inch pieces
1 stick cinnamon
2 pods star anise
1 tablespoon sugar
6 tablespoons soy sauce
1 1/2 tablespoons dark soy sauce
2 tablespoon Shaoxing wine
8 cups water
2 bay leaves
Red Braised Pork Trotter Instructions
- In a pot of water over high heat, transfer in the pork feet, and bring it to a boil. Continue to boil for 5 minutes. Discard the water, and rinse the pork with running water. Drain, and pat dry or air dry the pork feet.
- In a pot over high heat, add 1 tablespoon of extra light olive oil. Return the pork feet and pan-fry until slightly browned for 5 minutes. Remove and set them aside.
- In the same pot over medium-low heat, add 1 tablespoon of extra light olive oil. Place in the ginger, scallions, cinnamon, and star anise. Stir-fry until aromatic, 1 minute.
- Push the ingredients to the side, place in the sugar, and stir-fry until the sugar is melted and slightly browned, 3 minutes. Add in the soy sauce, dark soy sauce, and Shaoxing wine. Mix well.
- Turn to high heat. Return the pork feet and stir-fry.
- Pour in the water, and add the bay leaves. Mix a little. Cover the lid. Bring it to a simmer. Turn to low heat and simmer for 1 hour and 30 minutes.
- Uncover the lid. Turn to high heat, reduce the sauce for 10 minutes.