Today we are going to make Drunken Chicken Roll. It is a famous cold dish that originated in Zhejiang Province. We’ll use Shaoxing wine today, but if you are afraid that the alcohol will be too strong, we can boil it down a bit. So don’t worry, no one will get drunk from this Drunken Chicken recipe.
Drunken Chicken Roll Recipe
Prep time: 20 minutes
Rest time: 30 minutes and Overnight
Cook time: 30 minutes
For the chicken:
4 chicken legs, deboned
1/4 teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon white pepper
1 tablespoon Shaoxing wine
2 stalk scallions
3 slices ginger
For the marinade liquid:
4 cups chicken stock
2 cups Shaoxing wine
3 tablespoons soy sauce
2 pieces rock sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
3 slices angelica sinensis (Dong Quai)
8 pieces dried red dates
2 tablespoons goji berries
- To make the marinade liquid, in a pot over medium heat, add in the chicken stock, Shaoxing wine, soy sauce, rock sugar, salt, Dong Quai, and red date. Cook until the rock sugar is dissolved and bring it to a boil. (Cook for a few minutes if you want the alcohol to evaporate a bit.) Lastly, add in the goji berries. Wait until cool, 30 minutes.
- Season the chicken with salt, white pepper, and Shaoxing wine.
- Roll the chicken leg into a log. Tie it up with cooking twine.
- In a pot of water over high heat, bring it to a boil. Turn to the lowest heat, place in the chicken, scallions, and ginger. Poach for 30 minutes, or until the chicken’s internal temperature is at 165°F (73°C).
- Remove the chicken and submerge in ice water. Drain.
- Pour the marinade liquid into a container (in my case, it’s a pot), and transfer the chicken inside. Marinate overnight, in the fridge.
- The next day, cut the twine and cut the chicken into slices.