Today I’d like to share with you a super delicious noodle recipe that you will be sure to enjoy, Spicy Red Braised Beef Noodle Soup (Hong Shao Niu Rou Mian)!
Serves 2 to 4
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 2 hours and 20 minutes
For the spice bag:
1 stick cinnamon
2 pods star anise
2 pieces cloves
1 teaspoon coriander seeds
1 teaspoon Sichuan peppercorns
2 bay leaves
For the soup:
2 pounds beef shank, cut into big chunks
2 tablespoons extra light olive oil, separated
1 onion, cubed
4 slices ginger
4 stalk scallions, cut into 2-inch pieces
2 tablespoons Sichuan Pixian broad bean paste
6 tablespoons soy sauce
3 tablespoons rice wine
8 cups boiling water
1 tablespoon yellow rock sugar
For the noodles:
1 pound Chinese wheat noodles
4 Shanghai bok choy
- To prepare for the spice bag, in a flat bottom pan over low heat, place in the cinnamon, star anise, cloves, coriander seeds, and Sichuan peppercorns. Stir until aromatic, 2 minutes. Transfer the spices to a spice bag. Also, add in the bay leaves. Tie the bag. Set aside.
- To prepare for the beef shank, in a pan over high heat, add 1 tablespoon of extra light olive oil and beef. Stir fry until lightly browned, 5 minutes. Remove and set aside.
- In the same pan over high heat, add 1 tablespoon of extra light olive oil, place in the onion, ginger, and scallions. Stir-fry until fragrant, 1 minute. Add the Sichuan Pixian broad bean paste and stir-fry for another minute. Pour in the soy sauce, rice wine, and cook for 30 seconds. Return the beef and mix well. Pour in the boiling water, add the yellow rock sugar and spice bag. Mix together. Cover the lid and bring it to a simmer. Turn to low heat and simmer for 2 hours. Remove the spice bag.
- To cook the Shanghai bok choy, in a pot of water over high heat, bring the water to a boil. Blanch it for 30 seconds. Remove and set aside.
- To cook the noodles, in the same pot of boiling water over high heat, cook the noodles until al dente, 3 minutes.
- Place the noodles in a bowl, pour in the soup, and place the beef and Shanghai Bok Choy on top. Serve!