My daughters love Egg Tarts, so they will be joining me in the kitchen today. Let’s take a look at how to easily make Hong Kong Egg Tarts at home.
Prep time: 1 hour 15 minutes
Rest time: 1 hour and 5 minutes
Cook time: 20 minutes
1 electronic mixture
14 egg tart molds, 2 ¾ inches flat diameter
For the dough：
12 tablespoons (168 g) butter, room temperature
4 tablespoons powdered sugar
1 large egg
2 cups (240 g) all-purpose flour
For the filling:
1 cup (240 g) hot water
6 tablespoons white sugar
½ cup (126 g) evaporated milk
4 large eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
To make the tart shells:
- In a large mixing bowl, put in the room temperature butter, and whisk with an electronic mixture for 2 minutes. Sift in the powdered sugar and whisk, 2 minutes. Transfer in the egg and whisk together. Sift in 1 cup of all-purpose flour and whisk again. Sift in another cup of flour, and mix with a pair of chopsticks until it looks like crumbs.
- Then use your hand to knead until it becomes a ball of dough, 3 minutes. Place the dough in a Ziploc bag and rest in the fridge for 30 minutes.
- On a floured surface, first, make the dough flat then roll it into about 1/5 inch thick. Cut it with an egg tart mold (or a cookie-cutter). For the leftover corners, make it into a ball, roll it out, and cut it into additional dough sheets.
- Place the dough sheet in the mold. Use your fingers to mold dough, so it fits the mold and is slightly higher than the mold. Rest the finished tart shells in the fridge. And do the same with the rest.
To make the filling:
- In a cup of hot water, add in the sugar, and stir until completely dissolved. Wait until cool, 30 minutes.
- In the bowl, add in the eggs, evaporated milk, and vanilla extract. Whisk together.
- Strain the mixture 2 times.
- Transfer the molds to a baking pan.
- Pour the filling in the tart shells, about 80% full.
- In a preheated oven, place the baking pan on the lower third of your oven. Bake at 400°F (204 °C) for 10 minutes.
- Then lower the heat to 325 °F (163 °C). Bake for 10 minutes.
- Turn off the heat, open the oven door, leave a gap, and rest for 5 minutes.