Seafood Hot and Sour Soup Recipe
Hot and sour soup is a very interesting Chinese soup. It can be found in all Chinese restaurants, but why not make this typical Chinese soup at home today!
6 pieces of squids, cut into 1 inch pieces
2 fl oz of Chinese bamboo shoots, julienned
2 fl oz of soft tofu, julienne
1 fl oz of Chinese forest ear mushrooms, julienned
1 fl oz of Chinese mushrooms, julienned
A bit of ginger, julienned
1 tablespoon of scallions, chopped
1/2 of an egg, beaten
2 cups of water
2 tablespoons of white vinegar
1/3 teaspoon of salt
A pinch of pepper
A pinch of sugar
A dash of sesame oil
1/2 tablespoon of soy sauce
1/2 tablespoon of cornstarch and 2 tablespoons of water (cornstarch slurry)
1/2 tablespoon of dark soy sauce
1. In a simmering pot of water, simmer the shrimp, scallions, squids to remove all the fishy tastes. Also simmer the tofu, black mushrooms, and bamboo shoots.
2. In another boiling pot of water, add the ginger, pepper, salt, sugar, soy sauce, vinegar and stir for a bit.
3. Then add the simmered tofu, mushrooms, and bamboo shoots. Then boil for a bit.
4. Return all the seafood.
5. Add the cornstarch slurry to thicken the soup.
6. Add the egg and stir slowly.
7. Add the dark soy sauce to make the color more vibrant, also add the sesame oil and scallions.
Chef Luo’s keynotes: The key to this soup is the sourness from the white vinegar and the spiciness from the white pepper. The traditional way of making the soup doesn’t add any vegetable oil or pepper flakes.