Chinese Sweet and Sour Chicken
Today we will be making the famous sweet and sour chicken. Sweet and sour chicken is a must for all Chinese restaurants and all Chinese food lovers. The sweet flavor of the chicken makes one of the most iconic dishes in Chinese cuisine. Make this at home with simple ingredients that you should have in your kitchen.
8 ounces of chicken breast or pork tenderloin, cut into ½ to 1 inch pieces
1/4 cup of green peppers, red peppers, onions, and pineapples, cut into ½ inch pieces
1 scallion, cut into ½ inch pieces
½ teaspoon of minced garlic and ginger
2 cups of vegetable oil, for frying
For the marinade:
A dash of salt and sugar
½ of an egg white
1 /2 teaspoon of cornstarch mix in 1 tablespoon of water
1 teaspoon of vegetable oil
½ cup of corn starch, for batter
For the sauce:
½ cup of water
½ bar of palm sugar or 1/4 cup of palm sugar
2 tablespoons of white vinegar
1 tablespoon of cornstarch slurry
A dash of salt
- Marinate the meat with a dash of salt, sugar, egg white, cornstarch water, vegetable oil. Let it sit for 30 minutes.
- Coat the meat with 1/2 cup of cornstarch.
- In a wok or skillet, over high heat, add 2 cups of vegetable oil. Put in the meat, and cook until golden brown. Drain off any excess oil.
- In another pan, boil the green peppers, red peppers, onions, and pineapple for 1 minute.
- Clean the wok and add ½ cup of water, palm sugar, vinegar, a dash of salt, and cornstarch slurry. Cook until thickened. Add the boiled vegetable and bring to a simmer. Add the fried meat and mix everything well. It’s done!