Boba milk is a very popular Taiwanese drink. Today I’d like to show you how you can make tapioca pearls (boba) from scratch, and we’ll also make a super delicious boba milk drink!
Prep time: 45 minutes
Cook time: 35 minutes
For the boba:
1/2 cup water
¼ cup Taiwanese brown sugar (hei tang)
1 cup tapioca starch, plus 1 tablespoon dusting
For the syrup:
½ cup water
1 cup Taiwanese brown sugar (hei tang)
For the boba milk:
4 cups whole milk
2 cups ice
Brown Sugar Boba Milk Instructions
To make the boba:
- In a pot over low heat, add the water and Taiwanese brown sugar. Stir until dissolved and bring it to a complete boil.
- In a large mixing bowl, add the tapioca starch inside, pour in the boiling liquid. First, mix with a utensil, and then knead with your hands until everything comes together.
- On a flat working surface, continue to knead on until smooth.
- Pinch out a small piece of dough, and shape it into a ball.
- On a lightly dusted plate, place the balls inside, and shake the plate around so all the balls are dusted with the starch.
To cook the boba:
- In a large pot of water over high heat, bring it to a boil. Transfer in the boba, constantly stir for 1 minute and cook over medium heat for 20 minutes until cooked through. Turn off the heat and cover for 5 minutes.
- Place the boba in ice water.
- In a pot over low heat, add the water and Taiwanese brown sugar. Stir until dissolved, and bring it to a complete boil. Return the boba and cook for another 5 minutes. (The color of boba will turn darker when you cook it this way.)
- In a glass, add the boba and syrup in it, and move the glass around, so the syrup will stick to the side. Place in the ice and milk. Stir and enjoy!