The delicious filling is placed inside cabbage leaves, and folded into soup dumplings. Then they are steamed until super juicy and succulent. It’s over-the-top delicious!
Serving: 12 Cabbage Soup Dumplings
Prep time: 30 minutes
Cook time: 15 minutes
For the filling:
1 pound ground pork (80% lean, and 20% fat)
1 cup (237 ml) reserved vegetable boiled liquid
1 tablespoon soy sauce
2 tablespoons oyster sauce
¼ teaspoon white pepper
1 tablespoon sesame oil
1 large egg
1 stalk scallions, minced
6 stalks Chinese chives, thinly sliced
For the dumplings:
1 large cabbage
6 stalks Chinese chives
Pinch of salt
1 teaspoon cornstarch
1 tablespoon water
To prepare the cabbage and Chinese chives:
- In a pot of water over high heat, bring it to a boil, and boil the Cabbage leaves for about 3 minutes until softened. Gently remove them and place them in cold water to stop cooking.
- Also, blanch the Chinese chives for about 30 seconds. Reserve 1 cup of the vegetable-boiled liquid. Remove the chives and place them in cold water to stop cooking. Discard the water and drain.
To make the filling:
- In a mixing bowl, add the ground pork, and slowly add in the cooled-down reserved vegetable boiled liquid (By doing so, our filling is going to be super tender and juicy).
- Mix together until the pork absorbs all the liquid. Then add the soy sauce, oyster sauce, white pepper, sesame oil, and egg. Thoroughly combine. Lastly, add the scallions and Chinese chives, and mix well.
- Place a large cabbage leaf on the bottom, and a small piece on top. Add about 1 tablespoon of the filling in the center. Gather and fold the cabbage leaves together.
- Wrap a piece of Chinese chive around it and tie a knot. Trim off the extra length. Place the dumplings on a plate.
- Do the same with the rest.
- In a steamer over high heat, bring water to a boil, and transfer the plate of cabbage soup dumplings inside. Cover the lid and steam until completely cooked through for about 10 minutes.
- Carefully remove the plate.
- In a small pan over medium heat, pour the extra liquid from the plate. Bring it to a simmer, season it with salt, and add the cornstarch slurry (1 teaspoon of cornstarch and 1 tablespoon of water). Stir until thickened.
- Drizzle the sauce over the cabbage soup dumplings. Enjoy!