Tomato Egg Drop has always been one of my favorite soups. Today I’d like to share with you this amazing tomato egg drop soup recipe!
Tomato Egg Drop Soup Recipe
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
For the Chicken Stock
12 cups of water, divided
1/2 pound chicken bones, some meat attached
6 thin slices ginger
For the Soup
4 stalks scallions, white and green parts separated
1 teaspoon rice vinegar, divided
2 tablespoons extra-light olive oil
1/2 teaspoon sea salt, or more or less to taste
1/2 teaspoon sugar
1/2 teaspoon white pepper
3 tablespoons cornstarch
3 tablespoons water
Drizzle of sesame oil
- Make the chicken stock: In a large pot over high heat, add 6 cups of water and the chicken bones. Cover, bring to a boil, and let boil for about 3 minutes. Drain and discard the water; this will remove blood and other impurities, and any gamey flavor.
- Return the bones to the pot over high heat, and add the remaining 6 cups of water and the ginger. Cover, bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low and simmer, covered, for 20 minutes.
- In the meantime, prep your other ingredients: Cut the tomatoes into 1-inch cubes. Mince the scallions, keeping the white and green parts separate.
- Separate the eggs into two bowls. Whisk 1/2 teaspoon rice vinegar into the egg yolks, then whisk 1/2 teaspoon rice vinegar into the egg whites.
- In a small pan over low heat, add the extra light olive oil and the white parts of the scallions. Cook until aromatic, 1 minute. Set aside.
- Now, make the soup: After the chicken stock has simmered for 20 minutes, discard the chicken bones, ginger, and any impurities. Turn to high heat, add the tomatoes, and cook until softened, about 3 minutes. Skim off any foam.
- Season with salt, sugar, white pepper, and scallion oil.
- In a small bowl, make a cornstarch slurry by mixing together 3 tablespoons cornstarch and 3 tablespoons water. Pour the cornstarch slurry into the soup in a circular motion and stir until thickened.
- Bring back to a boil. Slowly pour in the egg whites in a circular motion, then do the same with the egg yolks. Stir gently. Top with the green parts of the scallions and a drizzle of sesame oil, and serve.