Tomato Egg Drop has always been one of my favorite soups. Today I’d like to share with you this amazing tomato egg drop soup recipe!
Tomato Egg Drop Soup Recipe
Serve: 6 people
Prep time: 5 minutes
Cook time: 30 minutes
12 cups of water, separated
8 ounces chicken bones
6 slices ginger
5 tomatoes, cut into 1 inch cubes
4 stalks scallions, minced, separate the white and green parts
6 eggs, separate egg whites and yolks into different bowls
1 teaspoon rice vinegar, separated
2 tablespoon extra light olive oil
½ teaspoon sea salt (add more or less based on your preferences)
½ teaspoon sugar
½ teaspoon white pepper
3 tablespoons cornstarch slurry (3 tablespoons cornstarch and 3 tablespoons water)
Dash of sesame oil
- To make the chicken stock, in a pot, add 6 cups of water, over high heat, add in the chicken bones. (I intentionally left some meat on them when I was cutting them.) Bring to a boil for about 3 minutes.
- Discard the water. Because we want to remove its blood and gamey taste.
- In the same pot, over high heat, add in the bones, the rest of the water, and ginger. Bring to a boil, turn to low, simmer 20 minutes.
- In the meantime, prep the ingredients. Cut the tomatoes into 1 inch cubes. Mince the scallions.
- Divide the egg yolks and egg whites into separated bowls. Add 1/2 teaspoon of rice vinegar in the egg yolks. And 1/2 teaspoon of rice vinegar in the egg whites. (It will keep the eggs silky and smooth.)
- To make the scallion oil, in a small pan, over low heat, add extra light olive oil and the white part of the scallions. Cook until aromatic, 1 minute. Set aside.
- Return to the chicken stock, discard the chicken bones, ginger, and any impurity. Turn to high heat, add tomatoes and cook until softened, 3 minutes. Skim off any forms.
- Season it with the salt, sugar, white pepper, and scallion oil.
- Pour in the cornstarch slurry in a circular motion. Stir until thickened.
- Bring to a boil, slowly add in the egg whites. Slowly add in the egg yolks. Mix a little.
- Lastly, add in the scallions. Serve!