Today we are going to make Three Cup Chicken. So you might be wondering what are the three cups. There are black sesame oil, soy sauce, and rice wine. The portion doesn’t always have to be 1 cup, 1 cup, and 1 cup. You can use more or less based on your serving size. I’m sure this is a recipe that you and your family will enjoy! Let’s get started with this amazing Three Cup Chicken recipe!
Three Cup Chicken Recipe
Prep time: 5 minutes
Cook time: 40 minutes
1 tablespoon avocado oil (or other high smoking point oil)
2 pounds chicken drumettes
4 tablespoons black sesame oil
12 sliced ginger
12 garlic cloves
1 tablespoon sugar
3 tablespoons soy sauce
4 tablespoon rice wine, separated
2 1/2 cups water
1 1/2 tablespoons dark soy sauce
1 red finger hot pepper, sliced
1 cup Thai basil leaves
Three Cup Chicken Instructions
- In a pot over high heat, place in the avocado oil and chicken drumettes. Stir-fry until golden brown, 5 minutes. Remove.
- In the same pot over medium-low heat, add the black sesame oil and ginger, and stir-fry until golden brown. (The black sesame oil and ginger are the souls of this dish. )
- Then put in the garlic, and stir-fry until lightly browned, 1 minute. Place in the sugar and stir-fry until completely melted and lightly brown. Return the chicken. Add the soy sauce, 2 tablespoons of rice wine, and combine.
- Over high heat, place in the water, and dark soy sauce, and mix well. Cover the lid and bring it to a boil. Over medium heat, cook for 25 minutes, and stir a few times in between.
- Uncover the lid, over high heat, put in the red finger hot pepper, and reduce the sauce for 5 minutes.
- Preheat a clay pot over medium heat, transfer the chicken into the clay pot, and add the basil. Cover the lid. Pour 2 tablespoons of rice wine over the lid, and let it cook for 2 minutes. (It will make the dish more aromatic.) Serve!