Soy sauce chicken is a classic Chinese dish. It usually takes about 1 hour to cook. I’d like to share with you a super quick, easy, and approachable way to make soy sauce chicken in 30 minutes!
Soy Sauce Chicken Recipe
Prep time: 5 minutes
Cook time: 25
4 pieces chicken thighs, skin-on, boneless
3 slices ginger
1 stalk scallions, cut into 2-inch pieces
2 tablespoons sugar
1 cup water
4 tablespoons soy sauce
1 ½ tablespoons dark soy sauce
2 tablespoons Shaoxing wine
½ cinnamon stick
2 pods star anise
2 bay leaves
¼ piece dried tangerine peel
Soy Sauce Chicken Instructions
- To prepare the chicken thighs, use a paper towel to scrub on the skin to remove any filaments. Trim off the extra fat and skin. Slice the chicken meat, about 1 inch apart, without cutting all the way through, so the chicken will absorb more flavors and cook faster.
- In a pan over medium heat, place in the chicken, skin side down. (The chicken skin will release the oil, so I didn’t add additional oil.) Sear for 2 minutes until golden brown. Flip the chicken and cook for 2 minutes until golden brown. Remove the chicken.
- In the same pan over low heat, with the remaining oil, add the ginger and scallions. Stir-fry until aromatic for 1 minute. Add the sugar, and stir-fry until melted and lightly browned.
- Pour in the water, soy sauce, dark soy sauce, and Shaoxing wine (omit it if you can’t consume alcohol). Also add the cinnamon, star anise, bay leaves, and dried tangerine peel. Whisk and bring it to a simmer.
- Return the chicken. Cover the lid, and simmer the chicken for 6 minutes. Flip the chicken, cover the lid, and cook for another 6 minutes. Uncover the lid, over high heat, and cook until the sauce is reduced for 5 minutes. (At this point, the internal temperature of the chicken is at least 165 degrees F or 74 degrees C.)
- Remove the chicken and cut it into small pieces. Enjoy!