The weather is getting hotter. If you have no appetizer, be sure to check out this Cold Sesame Noodles with Shredded Chicken recipe! It will be sure to bring back your appetizer!
Cold Sesame Noodles with Shredded Chicken Recipe
Serving: 4 people
Prep time: 35 minutes
Cook time: 35 minutes
For the chicken:
¼ teaspoon salt
2 pieces chicken breasts
1/2 small onion
1 stalk scallion, cut into 2-inch pieces
2 slices ginger
1 pod star anise
For the sauce:
3 tablespoons sesame paste
1 tablespoon creamy peanut butter
1 teaspoon sugar
3 tablespoons soy sauce
1 tablespoon Chinkiang vinegar
1 tablespoon sesame oil
1 tablespoon Sichuan peppercorn oil
1/2 cup warm chicken stock （90 degrees F)
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 tablespoon toasted sesame seeds
For the noodles
1 pound fresh wheat noodles
1 English cucumber, julienned
1 carrot, julienned
¼ cup cilantro
2 tablespoons chili oil
- To cook the chicken, in a pot of water, over high heat, add in the salt. Whisk. Transfer in the chicken breast, onion, scallions, ginger, and star anise. Bring it to a boil, turn to low heat, and cook for 25 minutes.
- Remove the chicken, and let it cool for 10 minutes.
- Shred the chicken with your hands into small pieces.
- To make the sauce, in a bowl, add the sesame paste, creamy peanut butter, sugar, soy sauce, Chinkiang vinegar, sesame oil, and Sichuan peppercorn oil. Whisk until combined. Pour in the chicken stock, a little at a time, until the sauce it’s at the right consistency. Whisk. Transfer in garlic and toasted sesame seeds. Mix well.
- In a large pot of water, to cook the noodles over high heat, bring it to a boil. Cook the noodles until al dente, 3 minutes. Run it under running water.
- In a bowl, to serve the noodles, transfer in the noodles, cucumber, carrots, and chicken. Also add in the sesame sauce, chili oil, and cilantro. Mix and enjoy!