How to make the perfect Char Siu Chicken every time? I usually make char siu with pork, but many of you have been requesting Char Siu Chicken. So today I’d like to share with you the best Char Siu Chicken recipe!
Char Siu Chicken Recipe
Prep time: 10 minutes
Rest time: overnight
Cook time: 30 minutes
1 pound chicken thighs, with skin, boneless
2 pieces fermented red bean curd
1 tablespoon soy sauce
1 tablespoon dark soy sauce
1 tablespoons oyster sauce
1 tablespoon hoisin sauce
2 tablespoons Shaoxing wine
3 tablespoons honey
Pinch of five-spice powder
Pinch of white pepper
1 garlic clove, minced
For the glaze:
2 tablespoons honey
2 tablespoons warm water
- To make to marinade, in a bowl, combine all the seasonings: fermented red bean curd (This will give our char siu its beautiful red color. You could also replace it red food coloring.), soy sauce, dark soy sauce, oyster sauce, hoisin sauce, Shaoxing wine, honey, five-spice powder, white pepper, and garlic. Whisk thoroughly, breaking up the bean curd, until mostly smooth.
- Transfer the chicken to a large Ziploc bag and pour in the marinade. Squeeze most of the air out of the Ziploc bag and seal it. Distribute and rub the marinade all over the meat.
- Transfer the bag to the fridge to marinate overnight, flipping it about halfway through.
- The next day, preheat the oven to 400 degrees F (204 degrees C) and position a baking rack in the middle of the oven.
- Remove the marinated chicken from the fridge to allow it to come closer to room temperature while the oven preheats.
- Place a roasting rack on top of the roasting pan.
- Remove the chicken from the Ziploc bag and place it on the roasting rack.
- Transfer the roasting pan to the middle rack of the preheated oven, and roast for 20 minutes, 400 degrees F (204 degrees C).
- In the meantime, in a bowl, add the honey and warm water. Whisk until combined.
- Remove the roasting pan from the oven and brush the glaze all over the chicken. Flip the chicken and brush the glaze on this side as well.
- Return the roasting pan to the middle rack of the oven and roast for a final 10 minutes, 400 degrees F (204 degrees C).
- Remove the char siu from the oven. Let it rest for about 10 minutes before slicing it into bite-size pieces to serve. Enjoy