Homemade vegetable lo mein, a Chinese takeout favorite, ticks all the boxes for a go-to weeknight dinner. It’s simple, versatile, flavorful, and fast—it comes together in all of 20 minutes on the stovetop.
Vegetable Lo Mein Recipe
Serve: 4 people
Rest time: 2 hours
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 10 minutes
4 fresh or dried shiitake mushrooms
1/2 medium sweet onion, thinly sliced
1/2 medium carrot, peeled and julienned
1 1/2 cup thinly sliced cabbage
Stems from 1 small bunch cilantro, cut into 1-inch pieces
2 scallions, green part only, cut into 1-inch pieces
1 (16-ounce) package Chinese lo mein egg noodles
Pinch of sea salt
2 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
For the Sauce:
1 tablespoon soy sauce
1 tablespoon dark soy sauce
1 tablespoon oyster sauce
1 teaspoon sesame oil
Pinch of sea salt
Pinch of white pepper
Pinch of sugar
1 teaspoon cornstarch
- Prepare the vegetables: If using dried shiitake mushrooms, rehydrate them in at least 1/4 cup water for 2 hours. Drain, reserving 1/4 cup of the soaking water to use in the sauce, rinse, and thinly slice.
- Thinly slice the onion, peel and julienne the carrot, and thinly slice the cabbage. Cut the cilantro stems and scallions into 1-inch pieces.
- Cook the noodles: Bring a large pot of water to a boil over high heat. Add a pinch of salt and 1 teaspoon vegetable oil, to prevent the noodles from sticking together. Add the lo mein and use chopsticks to separate the noodles. Cook over high heat, stirring occasionally to keep the noodles from sticking together, until al dente, about 3 minutes (or according to package directions). Drain and rinse with cold running water. Set aside.
- Make the sauce: In a small bowl, combine the soy sauce, dark soy sauce, oyster sauce, sesame oil, salt, white pepper, sugar, reserved 1/4 cup shiitake mushroom water (or 1/4 cup plain water), and cornstarch. Mix well and set aside.
- Heat 2 tablespoons vegetable oil in a large pan over high heat. Add the sliced onion and carrots and stir fry over high heat for 30 seconds. Then add the sliced shiitake mushrooms and cabbage and stir fry until softened, another 30 seconds. Add the lo mein and the sauce and cook, tossing well, until everything is combined, about 2 minutes. Stir in the cilantro stems and scallions and cook for another 20 seconds. Serve.