I hope that you are all doing well during this self-isolation time. To some of us, getting groceries have been a problem, so today I’d like to share with you how we can easily grow bean sprouts at home.
Grow Bean Sprouts at Home
8 oz mung beans
1 washing bowl
1 cheesecloth, or replace with paper towels
2 kitchen towels
- Rinse the mung beans thoroughly.
- Soak in 3 cups of water overnight. If any beans flow up to the top, it means that they are not good anymore, take them out.
- The next day, the mung beans should double in size. The skins of mung beans are partially opened up, and little spouts might also come out. Rinse and drain.
- Use a set of colanders and a washing bowl today. (You could use a steamer or a strainer, and a large bowl to do this.)
- Place a wet cheesecloth over the steamer. (You could also replace it with wet paper towels.) Spread the mung beans all over evenly. Cover with the cheesecloth.
- Water them every day for morning and night. Throw away the water on the bottom. Cover with a plate (By doing so, your bean sprouts will grow thicker.)
- Cover up with 2 kitchen towels. It will be best if you have 2 black color towels. Place the pot in a cool and dark place. Avoid direct sunlight. (If the sprouts see the sun then they will turn color.)
6 thoughts on “How to Grow Bean Sprouts at Home”
Where can I buy the Monk Beans ??
Thank you for the question! Mung beans are available in most Asian grocery stores. I hope you’ll find them. 🙂
Thank you for sharing.. it looks easy and interesting to grow mung beans sprouts!
Hi Anita, I’m glad that you enjoyed the video! Happy New Year!
Hi! In your instructions, you say to water the mung beans twice daily. Do you mean during the 3 days while they are growing? Thank you!
Thanks for the question! Yes, water the mung beans 2 times a day, for 3 days. I hope it works out for you! 🙂