Today let’s make fortune cookies. Fortune cookies are given after a meal in most of the Chinese restaurants in the US. Believe it or not, before coming to the US, I have never seen a fortune cookie before. Some say it was invented by a Japanese immigrant, others say it was invented by a Chinese immigrant. If you know more about the history of fortune cookies, comment below and share with us!
Prep time: 40 minutes
Cook time 50 minutes
2 large egg whites
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
4 tablespoons butter, melted
1/2 cup flour
1/2 cup sugar
Pinch of salt
2 tablespoons water
Fortune Cookies Instructions
- In a large mixing bowl, add the egg white and vanilla extract, and whisk until frothy, 1 minute. Pour in the butter and mix.
- Sift in the flour, sugar, and salt. Incorporate until it becomes a paste, 30 seconds.
- Add 1 tablespoon of water at a time until smooth.
- On a Silpat lined baking sheet, spread 1 tablespoon of the batter into 4 inches in diameter. Repeat with another tablespoon of batter.
- In a preheated oven, bake at 350 degrees F for 10 minutes until the edges become golden brown.
- Remove the cookies from the baking sheet, place a fortune slip in the center, fold it in half, and place the flat side on the lip of a glass. Place the fortune cookie in a mini muffin tin until cool.