Today, I’d like to share a foolproof way to make super crispy, richly flavored Shrimp Spring Rolls. I use Knorr Liquid Seasoning @CookWithKnorr in place of soy sauce to elevate the flavor of this crowd-pleasing dish.
Serving: 20 spring rolls
Prep time: 40 minutes
Cook time: 15 minutes
For the filling:
1 ½ pounds shrimp, peeled, deveined, and minced
1 large egg
1 medium carrot, minced
1 medium onion, minced
¼ teaspoon ginger, minced
¼ teaspoon white pepper
1 teaspoon sesame oil
2 tablespoons Knorr Liquid Seasoning
For the spring rolls:
1 large egg, beaten
20 pieces spring roll wrappers
2 cups oil (high smoking point)
To make the filling:
- In a food processor, add the deveined shrimp, and blend until it becomes a paste. (You could also mince it with a knife, and combine everything in a mixing bowl.)
- Then add the egg, carrot, onion, ginger, white pepper, sesame oil, and Knorr Liquid Seasoning (Knorr Liquid Seasoning brings out the umami flavor. It’s a versatile seasoning, and you can use it to cook, marinate, and serve as a dipping sauce. I usually use it to replace soy sauce. Because it simply tastes better than soy sauce, and it will be sure to elevate the taste of any dish.) Mix well.
To assemble the spring rolls:
- Place the filling in a pastry bag (or a Ziploc bag), and cut open the tip.
- Lay a spring roll wrapper flat with a corner pointing toward you, so that it looks like a diamond. Squeeze the filling in the center of the wrapper horizontally.
- Tightly fold the bottom corner up, followed by two sides toward the center. Continue to roll it up, until the top of the wrapper is left, and brush the beaten egg over it. Roll it up all the way. Repeat with the rest.
- If you liked to freeze them, and cook them in the future, place them in a single layer, and cover them up with a plastic wrap. When ready to cook, just fry them directly, no defrosting is necessary.
To fry the spring rolls:
- In a large pot over high heat, place in oil, and heat it to 325 degrees F or 163 degrees C.
- Transfer in the spring rolls, a few at a time. Deep fry until golden brown for about 4 minutes, and turn them frequently so that they brown evenly.
- Remove and drain on a paper towel-lined plate. Repeat with the rest.
- Serve the spring rolls with Knorr Liquid Seasoning on the side as a dipping sauce. Knorr Liquid seasoning is available in your local grocery stores and on Amazon. Enjoy!
- After frying, if the oil is not cloudy and dark, it can be reused in the future. Let the oil cool to room temperature, then pour it into a glass jar through a coffee filter or piece of cheesecloth. Store in a cool and dry place.
- If the oil is not reusable, throw it away properly. Let it cool to room temperature, then pour it into a non-breakable container with a lid. Tightly seal the container and toss it into the trash. Never pour the used oil down the drain, as it can clog your sink.