King oyster mushrooms are cut into a blooming shape. Then they are pan-fried until golden and full of umami taste. We will also pair them with a delicious and savory sauce. Let’s get started with this creative mushroom recipe!
Creative Mushroom Recipe
Prep time: 30 minutes
Cook time: 10 minutes
For the blooming mushrooms:
6 large King Oyster Mushrooms
½ cup cornstarch
1/6 teaspoon salt
1/6 teaspoon white pepper
For the pan-frying oil
3 tablespoons avocado oil, or other high-smoking point oil
1/6 teaspoon salt
For the sauce:
1 cup vegetable stock, or water
1 tablespoon soy sauce
1 tablespoon red bell pepper, finely diced
1 tablespoon cilantro stems, finely chopped
1 tablespoon cornstarch
3 tablespoons water
Creative Mushroom Instructions
- To cut the king oyster mushroom, trim off the end and cap (reserve the cap for another recipe.) Slice it crosswise into about 1 to 2 inches thick, depending on the size of the mushroom.
- Place a pair of chopsticks between a piece of king oyster mushroom. Cross-cut into a blooming pattern. Do the same with the rest of the mushrooms.
- On a plate, mix in the cornstarch, salt, and white pepper. Whisk.
- Lightly dip the top and bottom of the mushroom in the cornstarch mixture. Brush off the excess. Do the same with all of them.
To cook and serve:
- In a pan over medium heat, add the avocado oil, and salt (salt will season the mushrooms while pan-frying). Place the king oyster mushrooms in the pan, and pan fry until golden brown on both the top and bottom. The total cook time is about 5 minutes. Place the mushrooms on a serving plate.
- To make the sauce, in a small pot over low heat, add the vegetable stock, soy sauce, red bell pepper, and cilantro stems. Whisk and bring it to a simmer. Pour in the cornstarch slurry (1 tablespoon of cornstarch and 3 tablespoons of water). Stir until it is thickened.
- Drizzle the sauce over the king oyster mushrooms, or serve it on the side. Enjoy!