Ginger is one of the most important ingredients for Chinese cooking. They sometimes sell it in a bag, which has many pieces inside. So what are the best ways the store ginger? Let’s take a look.
Please comment below and share with me if you have other cool ways to store ginger. I’d love to hear about them. Remember to sub….
1. Store whole ginger in a Ziploc bag in the fridge’s crisper drawer.
First, wipe the ginger with a paper towel. Then place it in a Ziploc bag. You could also today’s date on it. Store in the fridge, inside the crisper. This will stay fresh for 1 to 2 months.
2. Freeze peeled, sliced, or minced ginger in the freezer.
First, peel, and slice the ginger (you can also mince it). Place the ginger slices in a Ziploc bag. It’s also good to write today’s date on it. When you use it, just take the out the pieces that you need, and use them in stir-fry or soup. It will stay fresh for up to 6 months.
3. Store peeled, sliced ginger in a jar of vodka in the fridge.
Place peel and sliced ginger in a jar. Then pour vodka in it to fill everything up. (You can also use other alcohol that has at least 40% alcohol concentration.) When you use it, you can just take out the portion that you need and use it in stir-fry or soup. The ginger will contain the taste of alcohol, but the texture will stay nice and firm. It will stay fresh for 1 to 2 months.
4. Make pickled ginger.
6 ounces ginger, peeled, sliced
1 tablespoon dried red chili peppers, washed with cooked water
1 tablespoon Sichuan peppercorns, washed with cooked water
1 star anise, washed with cooked water
1/3 teaspoon salt, no iodize
1 teaspoon sugar
2 tablespoons rice wine
1 cup water, cooked, room temperature
- In a jar (I’ve already sanitized with boiling water.), add in the ginger slices, dried red chili peppers, Sichuan peppercorns, star anise, salt, sugar, and rice wine. Pour in the cooked room temperature water. Stir with a pair of sanitized chopsticks. Cover the jar.
- Put it, under the shade, under room temperature for the next 5 to 10 days. Then put it in the fridge. You can eat it like a side dish. It will stay fresh for up to 3 months.