Hi everyone! Today let’s make Cantonese Pork Belly Char Siu (Chinese BBQ Roasted Pork Recipe). It’s a perfect addition for any holiday meals!
Cantonese Pork Belly Char Siu Recipe
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Marinate Time: Overnight
Cook Time: 80 minutes
For the pork belly and the marinade:
2 pounds pork belly, skinless and boneless
2 pieces fermented red bean curd
2 tablespoons chu hou paste (or substitute with hoisin sauce)
2 tablespoons oyster sauce
1 tablespoon soy sauce
1 tablespoon dark soy sauce
2 tablespoons rose cooking wine (mei kuei lu chiew) (or substitute with rice wine or shaoxing wine)
4 tablespoons sugar
1/2 teaspoon five-spice powder
1/2 teaspoon white pepper
3 garlic cloves, minced
For the glaze:
4 tablespoons honey
4 tablespoons warm water
- The night before, use a fork to lightly stab the pork all over. This will tenderize the meat and help it develop deeper flavors while marinating.
- To marinate the pork, in a bowl, combine all the seasonings: red bean curd (this is what gave char siu thr red color), chu hou paste, oyster sauce, soy sauce, dark soy sauce, rose cooking wine, sugar, five-spice powder, white pepper, and garlic. Whisk thoroughly, breaking up the bean curd, until mostly smooth. (Tiny pieces of bean curd will remain.)
- Transfer pork to a large Ziploc bag and pour in the marinade. Squeeze most of the air out of the Ziploc bag and seal it. Distribute and rub the marinade all over the meat. Transfer the bag to the fridge to marinate overnight, flipping it about halfway through.
- The next day, roast the pork. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F (204 degrees C) and position a baking rack in the middle of the oven.
- Remove the marinated pork from the fridge to allow it to come closer to room temperature while the oven preheats.
- Line a roasting pan with aluminum foil (for easier clean-up) and place a roasting rack on top of the roasting pan.
- Remove the pork from the Ziploc bag and place it on the roasting rack.
- Reserve the marinade in a bowl; you’ll use it to baste the meat as it roasts.
- Transfer the roasting pan to the middle rack of the oven and roast for 30 minutes, 400 degrees F (204 degrees C).
- Remove the roasting pan from the oven. Brush the reserved marinade all over the pork. Flip the pork and brush the marinade over this side, too. Return the roasting pan to the middle rack of the oven and roast for another 30 minutes, 400 degrees F (204 degrees C).
- In the meantime, in a bowl, add the honey and warm water. Whisk until combined.
- Remove the roasting pan from the oven and brush the glaze all over the pork. Flip the pork and brush the glaze on this side as well. Return the roasting pan to the middle rack of the oven and roast for a final 20 minutes, 400 degrees F (204 degrees C).
Remove the char siu from the oven. Let it rest for about 10 minutes before slicing it into bite-size pieces to serve. Enjoy!