Lumpia are Filipino Fried Spring Rolls. They are fried until super crispy on the outside, and they are loaded with delicious goodies on the inside. We’ll also make a homemade sweet chili dipping sauce. Let’s get started with my version of Filipino Fried Crispy Spring Rolls Recipe (Lumpia Recipe)!
Filipino Fried Crispy Spring Rolls Recipe (Lumpia)
Prep time: 1 hour and 40 minutes
Cook time: 25 minutes
For the sweet chili dipping sauce:
1 cup water
3 tablespoons rice vinegar
3 tablespoons ketchup
3 tablespoons sugar
1 tablespoon sambal oelek
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 tablespoon cornstarch
3 tablespoons water
For the Lumpia:
1 1/2 pounds ground pork
1 large carrot, minced
1 medium yellow onion, minced
3 garlic cloves, minced
2 stalk scallions, minced
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
2 tablespoons soy sauce
2 large eggs, separated
40 pieces lumpia wrappers (or spring roll wrappers)
4 cups extra light olive oil, for frying
Filipino Fried Crispy Spring Rolls Instructions (Lumpia)
To make the dipping sauce:
- In a saucepan over medium heat, place in the water, rice vinegar, ketchup, sugar, sambal oelek, and garlic. Bring it to a simmer, and pour in the cornstarch slurry (1 tablespoon of cornstarch and 3 tablespoons of water). Stir until it is thickened. Set aside.
To combine the filling:
- In a mixing bowl, combine the ground pork, carrot, yellow onion, garlic, scallions, salt, black pepper, soy sauce, and 1 large egg. Mix well. (The egg will make the filling nice and soft, and bind them together.)
To assemble the lumpia:
- Beat 1 large egg (for sealing wrappers), and set aside.
- Place the filling in a pastry bag (or a Ziploc bag), and cut open the tip.
- Lay a lumpia wrapper flat with a corner pointing toward you, so that it looks like a diamond. Squeeze the filling in the center of the wrapper horizontally.
- Tightly fold the bottom corner up, fold the left corner toward the center, and follow by the right corner. Continue rolling up until the top of the wrapper is left. Brush the beaten egg over the top of the wrapper, and roll it up all the way.
- Transfer to a plate and cover with plastic wrap. Repeat with the remaining wrappers and filling.
To fry the lumpia:
- In a large pot over high heat, place in the extra light olive oil, and heat it to 325°F or 163°C.
- Transfer in the lumpia, a few at a time. Deep fry until golden brown for about 5 minutes, and turn them frequently so that they brown evenly.
- Remove and drain on a paper towel-lined plate. Repeat with the remaining lumpia.
- After frying, if the oil is not cloudy and dark, it can be reused in the future. Let the oil cool to room temperature, then pour it into a glass jar through a coffee filter or piece of cheesecloth. Store in a cool and dry place.
- If the oil is not reusable, throw it away properly. Let it cool to room temperature, then pour it into a non-breakable container with a lid. Tightly seal the container and toss it into the trash. Never pour the used oil down the drain, as it can clog your sink.