I’d like to share with you my Crispy Shrimp Dumpling Recipe. We won’t be making dumpling dough from scratch. Instead, we’ll be using rice paper! This Crispy Shrimp Dumpling Recipe is intensively crispy, quick, and easy! I will also show you a few tricks, so the pan-frying oil wouldn’t splatter as much as before. Let’s get started!
Crispy Shrimp Dumpling Recipe
Prep time: 50 minutes
Cook time: 10 minutes
For the shrimp dumplings:
1 pound shrimp, peeled and deveined
Pinch of salt
Pinch of white pepper
1 teaspoon sesame oil
3 tablespoons cilantro stems, or replace with other herbs
¼ teaspoon minced ginger
For the rice paper:
16 rice paper
1 cup room temperature water
1/4 teaspoon sugar
For the frying:
3 tablespoons avocado oil, or replace with other cooking oil
Pinch of salt
3 tablespoons crispy chili oil
3 tablespoons red vinegar (da hong zhe cu), or replace with other vinegar
1 tablespoon sugar
½ teaspoon salt
Crispy Shrimp Dumpling Instructions
- To make the dipping sauce, in a bowl, mix in the crispy chili oil. And the red vinegar (or replace it with other vinegar). Also, add in sugar and salt. Whisk.
- To make the filling, in a large bowl, add the peeled and deveined shrimp, salt, white pepper, and sesame oil. Mix well. Then place in the cilantro stems (or replace with other herbs), and ginger. Combine together.
- To make the water mixture, in a bowl place in the water and sugar (sugar will help with browning. You could also replace it with vinegar.)
- To wrap the dumplings, place the rice paper on a working surface. Lightly brush the water mixture on both sides of the rice paper, until softened and not overly wet. (The oil will splatter a lot when the rice paper has too much moisture on it.)
- Place about a tablespoon of filling in the bottom corner. Fold it up, fold the sides of rice paper toward the center, and roll it up all the way. Repeat with the rest.
- To pan-fry the shrimp dumplings, in a pan over medium heat, pour in the avocado oil (or other high smoking point cooking oil), and sprinkle with a pinch of salt. (Salt will also help to absorb some moisture, so the oil won’t splatter as much.)
- Transfer the shrimp dumplings to the pan. Pan-fry until crispy, about 2 minutes on each side. Remove and do the same with the rest.
- Serve with the dipping sauce!